Street & Road Maintenance

Information about snow removal, sidewalks and road maintenance in the District of Elkford.

The speed limit within the District of Elkford is 40 km/hr, unless otherwise noted.

Painting of crosswalks, centre lines, school and playground zones and fire hydrant no-parking zones are undertaken as necessary. Street signage is maintained and replaced as necessary. Please report any damaged or missing signs to Public Works at 250.865.4025 or


Road Maintenance

Road patching and crack filling is carried out throughout the year, based on operational and maintenance schedules. Sidewalks are swept, cleaned and repaired as dictated by operational needs. 

Typically, the centre of the street is swept as soon as it is clear of ice in the spring. A final sweep is conducted after the residents have had ample opportunity to rake excess gravel from their lawns back onto the street. The date of the final pass will be posted each year.

The southern gravel portion of Alpine Way, and the Elk Lakes Road north of Elkford to the cattle guard are graded and dust control is applied as necessary. The Elk Lakes Road, from the end of the pavement within the northern edge of the District of Elkford to Elk Lakes Provincial Park is controlled and maintained by the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development. 

Repairs to bridges and maintenance of dykes, as well as monitoring of Boivin Creek and the Elk River water levels during snowmelt are undertaken by Public Works staff (as required).

Annual cleaning and flushing of storm sewers are performed so that the storm water system is able to accommodate the flows experienced during major rainfall events. Most storm water discharges into outfalls, eventually making its way to either Boivin Creek or the Elk River. For this reason, we insist that no chemicals are disposed of down storm drains, which could lead to possible contamination of the ecosystem.



All streetlights within the municipality use a combination of LED lights and low-pressure, high-voltage sodium bulbs. The public is encouraged to report any outages or malfunctions to the Public Works Department.