In the event of a community-wide emergency or evacuation, the District of Elkford follows an established procedure. In the event of an emergency, information will be communicated through various channels:
- Emergency crews going door-to-door
- Posters and signage on District facilities
- Updates over local radio and/or emergency broadcast systems
- Alerts on the District of Elkford website
- Updates through the District of Elkford’s social media channels
- Community Information Meetings
Are you prepared for an emergency? Be prepared to take care of yourself and your family for a minimum of 72 hours. You should have a working fire extinguisher, a flashlight and/or candles, a 72-hour supply of non-perishable food and bottled water and a fully stocked emergency kit in your home. Ensure that you have adequate supplies to care for all children and pets. Additionally, you should know the muster points in the community and understand the basic principles of first aid and safety.
Every disaster is a local disaster. Different levels of organizations respond progressively as an emergency escalates and their resources are needed. The first ones to respond are closest to the emergency.
Here are some excellent resources to help you and your family prepare for an emergency: