Building Permits & Inspections
In the District of Elkford, you must apply for a building permit before starting most construction and renovation projects. The District’s Building Official conducts inspections during the permit process to ensure that issues related to building code compliance are addressed.
Building permits and inspections are regulated by the District’s of Elkford’s Building Bylaw:
• Building Bylaw
If you are not sure if you need a building permit, or have questions about your build, contact the Building Official at 250.865.4003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
When Do I Need a Building Permit?
Examples of projects that require a building permit include:
- Construction of any new building or structure over 10 square metres (108 square feet)
- Structural repair, alterations or additions to an existing building (including decks)
- Altering or adding to plumbing systems
- Installing or altering retaining walls over 1.5 metres (5 feet) in height above grade
- Moving, adding or removing interior structural walls
- Enclosing a deck, carport or porch
- Installing a woodstove or other wood burning appliance
- Siting a mobile or modular home or structure
- Placing a temporary building on any property (such as a construction office)
- Demolition of any building requires a Demolition Permit
- Changing the occupancy or use of any structure or space
- Finishing a basement
To download an application form, visit the Application Forms & Fees.
Did you know? No building permit is required to build a fence as long as the fence is in compliance with all Zoning Bylaws and fence height regulations.
Always ensure that you are constructing your fence on your own property and not on your neighbouring properties, right-of-ways or easements.
Questions? Contact the Building Official at 250.865.4003 or email@example.com.
Other Important Considerations
Some properties are within Development Permit Areas and may require a development permit before a building permit can be issued. For more information on this, visit the Official Community Plan page.
Electrical and gas systems are in the jurisdiction of Technical Safety BC. Visit www.technicalsafetybc.ca for more information on electrical and gas systems.
Request Your Building Inspection
To request a building inspection, contact the Building Official at 250.865.4003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*** Disclaimer: Bylaws are provided online for research and educational purposes only. The PDF documents are not official copies of our bylaws and these documents not admissible in a court of law. The District of Elkford will, in no event, be held liable or responsible for damages of any kind that arise from reference to, or use of, these bylaws online. Please contact email@example.com to request official copies for usage in a court of law. ***